Real Shooters. Real Targets. Often Copied, Never Equaled
SAFETY – Pistol & Rifle Steel Target Shooting
How Salute Targets Work
SALUTE products offer a variety of targets that fit interchangeably on the base. This base not only holds up the target, but it has been specifically designed to position the targets at slightly less than a 90-degree angle. This helps deflect the bullet fragments downward. The innovative Glacis Trap deflects the bullet downward after impact. Next, the Splatter Platter traps these fragments, keeping the shooter in a safer environment.
Additional Required Safety Measures
- Always wear ANSI approved safety glasses with side shields to protect your eyes.
- Always wear shooting rated hearing protection to protect your hearing.
- Always wear a baseball style hat with the brim down snugly against the top of your shooting glasses. This protects the forehead and top of head from lead and jacket particles and from hot ejected brass cartridge cases.
- Strongly recommend long sleeve shirts and long pants for all shooters and personnel on the range where steel targets are being used to reduce potential injury from lead and jacket particles.
- Bullets create a splash cone of lead and jacketed particles after hitting steel targets that can travel greater than 20 yards for handguns and greater than 75 yards for rifles. This splash zone can reach up to a 25-degree cone angel in a 360-degree direction from the surface of the impacted steel target. Use of frangible ammunition when shooting steel targets is highly recommended. Frangible ammunition will reduce potential injury.
- Use only high quality duty/service ammunition when shooting steel targets. If using non-frangible ammunition use handgun ammunition with a maximum velocity of 1500 feet per second. Rifle ammunition muzzle velocity should not exceed 3,000 feet per second.
- No Shotgun slugs! Shotgun lead birdshot and buckshot ammunition can be shot at the steel targets.
- Recommended minimum distances from steel targets to shooter are 10 yards for pistols and 75 yards for rifles. Spectators should stand 10 yards behind the shooter.
- Use only properly constructed firing range with adequate backstop height (recommend 25 feet) and adequate down range safety area of 500 yards or more. Locate the steel targets as close to the backstop as possible to help reduce the down range ricochet effect and distance.
- Discontinue the use of any close range (less than 75 yards) steel target that has surface craters caused by wear or improper ammunition use on the steel target impact area. The steel target impact surface must be smooth and flat to safely use steel targets less than 75 yards.
- Never shoot hardened, steel core or Armor Piercing (AP) ammunition at any steel target! Never shoot any type of shotgun slug at any steel target! Serious personal injury, including death, can result.
THESE PRODUCTS ARE INTENDED FOR A SPECIFIC USE AS PART OF AN INHERENTLY DANGEROUS ACTIVITY. THESE PRODUCTS MUST BE USED IN THE INTENDED MANNER ONLY AND IN DIRECT COMPLIANCE AND ACCORD WITH THE ENCLOSED INSTRUCTIONS. EVEN SO, INJURY MAY OCCUR. DUE TO THE INHERENTLY DANGEROUS NATURE OF THE ACTIVITY, NO WARRANTY OF THESE PRODUCTS IS GIVEN OTHER THAN THEY WILL PERFORM AS DESIGNED IN THEIR INTENDED USE. ANY ALTERATION OF THESE PRODUCTS OR THEIR USE SHALL VOID ALL WARRANTIES EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED. OTHER THAN THE FOREGOING, THERE ARE NO WARRANTIES OR GUARANTIES GIVEN NOR ANY LIABILITY ASSUMED BY THE MANUFACTURER IN THE USE OF THESE PRODUCTS. ALL RISK OF INJURY IS ASSUMED BY AND SHALL PASS TO THE PURCHASER OF THESE PRODUCTS OTHER THAN THOSE ITEMS SPECIFICALLY STATED ABOVE.
Salute Products, Inc Steel Targets are designed and manufactured by dedicated shooters and firearms trainers.